Setting up a stream is a fairly straight-forward process. But there are times you may want to set up a “New Connection” from scratch, the following covers such a situation as well as a walk-thru on where to find some of the settings you may need while configuring your stream.
In particular this document covers setting up a new connection and using UStream as the Service Provider/CDN (Content Delivery Network).
SOLUTION AND WORKAROUND
Collecting setup information from your Stream Provider/CDN
The following assumes you already have an account with UStream and have set up a channel to use for your broadcast. You will need to gather the following information from your UStream account before setting up your New Connection in the TriCaster “Stream Configuration Panel”:
- RTMP URL which will go in the “Location Field”
- Stream Key which will go in the “Stream ID Field”
This information can be found by going to http://www.ustream.tv and logging into your profile.
- Once you have done that go the dashboard, this can be found using the pulldown located to the left of the “Go Live” button in the upper-right corner of the page:
- Once you are in the Dashboard look at the toolbar on the left and click on “Channel”. This will open a new set of options, from this list click on “Remote”
- Now you will have the page with the information we need, it will look like this:
With this information we can go back to the TriCaster.
Setting up a New Connection
- In TriCaster open up the “Stream Configuration” panel by clicking on the gear icon next to “Stream”:
- The panel should look like this:
- In the upper-left there is a field labeled “Connection” and to the right of this field is a button labeled “New” click on it.
- A small dialogue box will appear asking you to “Choose a Connection Type”. Click on “Adobe Flash” and on “OK”.
- In the name field for the connection, you can name your “New Connection” something more appropriate. In the home field type http://www.ustream.tv
- Below the home field is a pulldown menu called “Stream Profile”, choose a resolution from the list that you would like to use for your stream. Which settings are useable through the Service Provider/CDN you are using will vary depending on your account with them and the type of internet service you have.
We’re almost done setting this up next we need to supply the “Location” and “Stream ID”. We collected these two items earlier from the UStream page. Here is a reminder for where to place each:
RTMP URL = Location
Stream Key = Stream ID
With this information entered go ahead and supply the Username and Password. These should be the same ones you use to log into your UStream account.
You are now ready to “Test Connection” or begin your stream if everything else has been set up and tested.